Monday, August 10, 2015

NATIVE MALE PERSPECTIVE: Challenges of dating Native women. Part 1


I posed a question on FB geared towards Native men and asked the question:

Native men, what are some of the CHALLENGES & TURN-OFFS about dating Native women???!!!

 There were multiple themes of challenges stated and I am not going to write it all in one blog piece. Therefore, there will be a few blogs on this topic. However, to start one of the MAIN themes I heard from this is Native women “party too much” and “drinks too much.” As one Navajo guy put it:

 “Kick the bottle... alcohol fucking up that divine native DNA... ... Fuck alcohol that shit isn't made for our DNA... Wild Cards=reckless, wacky, unpredictable... I'm still around friends that drink, I used to sip deep in the cutt... But, I'm too loc'd for the Devils piss... Natives drinking, straight genocide... Sucks, for the beer connoisseurs who are native... But the FIRE was made to kill us or keep us comfortable... I can only imagine how much more can be done for our people if natives kicked the bottle... Especially the high-powered G'z & Baddies... I got love for the them but to be in RELATIONSHIP is another story... #upgradedaily #upwardmobility… –Navajo brother

 He also stated:

“The flipside: I love dark beer like I love coffee & tea... But it stopped working for me... That urban decay put my DNA in a knot & didn't see it coming... All in due time tho... But native women: "the most beautiful thing in this world, is just like that...” –Same Navajo brother

 We Native women ALWAYS talk about our issues with Native men, particularly with alcoholism, but we hardly look at ourselves in this picture. It’s apparent that Native men are concerned with Native women and alcohol as well!!!!!! We partake in this issue as Native women. One of the Native men stated that it’s an issue of how we perceive Native men, such as stereotypes that we often have of them. This is true, I believe Native women do have stereotypes of our men, but we forget to look at ourselves within these stereotypes or how we may enable them. This is enlightening because who would have thought that alcohol would have also been a challenge for NATIVE MEN to date NATIVE WOMEN?

 The Navajo brother who responded with his distaste of alcohol also stated that it makes Native women wildcards, it makes us reckless, wacky, and unpredictable. Have you ever been to a Native bar or Native event and you see the Native couples arguing, especially when alcohol is involved? It’s very common. Maybe too common that we laugh and joke about a lot, or even call it “Rez Love.” He stated that alcohol isn’t made for our DNA. I assume he meant that we can’t handle it on certain levels or on any level. If you think about your relationships within your romantic relationships, family, and community…how often has alcohol negatively affected those relationships? I suppose it makes you think. I consume alcohol and I have gotten to analyze the negative effects it has played in my relationships. I’m not perfect, but I would like to think I have learned from my mistakes and am determined not to make the same ones again. Our Native men have valid points. We should hear them out as well, especially if we want to produce more healthy relationships within our communities. Well, stay tuned as I write more about this topic because Native men apparently have multiple challenges when it comes to dating us, LMBO.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment