Thursday, August 4, 2011

Something small to say

I once dated this guy who at the time was parallel to me in terms of education, age, and socio-economic status because we were young so we were uneducated, poor, and naive. However, we both had goals to attend college on a basketball scholarship, which we did, with hopes to finish with great degrees. At this time period, I was completely in love with someone like him because I was at the same point of life that he was. Although, since we were young, we had a lot of “downs” more than “ups” because we were still trying to “figure” ourselves out along with trying to maintain a relationship plus school. Temptation gets the best of you sometimes, especially if you are a young and attractive person and have been in a relationship for a long time. This guy was my high school sweetheart and we had a lot in common, love was there, but why were we not working out? He wanted to date other females but not lose me and so he cheated. I played my share in the cheating aspect as well because in the beginning of our relationship I was scared to get close to someone so I cheated. This set the foundation of a relationship that was unbalanced, not harmonious, and unhealthy. I think we all fall into the same pitfalls of dysfunctional relationships, especially when we are young. For the females in their 20’s, I challenge you to think of your romantic relationships. I think us Native women stay in unhealthy relationships for the wrong reasons. Just know that you are not alone but the decision to leave one makes you brave. I keep thinking back into my 20’s when I had HORRIBLE dating experiences and now I hopefully learned from them to move forward. Although I am not currently in a serious relationship I am happy and content on being single for a while. I am enjoying the fruits of my labor I did in my broke 20’s and traveling the world…so yes you do get over your heartaches and replace it with wonderful times!

No comments:

Post a Comment